[llvm-dev] [RFC] Annotating global functions and variables to prevent ICF during linking

Zequan Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 8 21:19:57 PDT 2021

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. There exists some hacking in chromium code base to make functions
distinct. That's why chromium developers have requested for this feature in
compiler to avoid this sort of hacking.
2. I found that there are cases unwanted symbols show up in the
addrsig table. I'm looking at this problem.
3. This sounds like a better approach to me. We can do it like using a new
attribute to annotate functions that should show up in addrsig table and
use safe icf mode.

I'll try investigating unwanted symbols in the addrsig table before the
last approach.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:

> Three things:
>
> 1. if chrome already has a mechanism/hack to make functions distinct in
> the face of icf=all, do we really need to add a compiler feature?
>
> 2. Are we sure functions aren't ending up in the addrsig table spuriously
> (and that the addrsig table isn't getting lost)? IOW: are the additional
> functions that get emitted with icf=safe really needed (as far as
> reasonable compiler analysis can determine), or should/could they have been
> removed?
>
> 3. If we _do_ need to implement something here (which I'm skeptical of) it
> would be better to add a compiler flag which adjusts how the contents of
> the addrsig table are computed, vs adding a new linker mechanism.
>
> You'd continue to link with icf=safe, but the compiler option would allow
> more functions to be merged, by putting fewer into addrsig.
>
> This would also allow the "unsafe" semantics to be per-TU instead of
> global for the entire link, allowing you not to break other libraries that
> may be linked into the same binary.
>

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 1:32 PM Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for gathering the data, Zequan. For more context, I'll add that
>> chrome.dll is around 163MB, so saving 6MB is around 3.5% of binary size. I
>> feel like this is a compelling use case for aggressive ICF.
>>
>> Chrome has historically used MSVC ICF, which is aggressive, and it can
>> make debugging challenging. We're looking for a way that we can selectively
>> power down ICF for functions that developers are interested in. I think it
>> would be reasonable to have a compiler flag that emits an extra section
>> with the same format as llvm_addrsig, with the semantics that it blocks ICF
>> even in the aggressive mode.
>>
>> For the user interface, we can either invent a new attribute, (noicf,
>> blockicf, disable_icf), document that it only works with linkers that
>> support the new section (LLD), and go that way. Alternatively we can
>> overload an existing attribute like __attribute__((used)). I think I favor
>> the new attribute. It makes it easier to search and find the relevant
>> documentation.
>>
>> Does that seem reasonable?
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:06 AM Zequan Wu <zequanwu at google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I got some data for the size increase from safe icf to all icf. The 14
>>> MB I initially found was due to .addrsig not emitted on COFF thinlto.
>>> After enabling it, the size of chrome.dll is increased by 6 MB when
>>> switching from all icf to safe icf on windows and 5 MB increase on linux.
>>>
>>> Here is a breakdown of chrome.dll section size increase on Windows.
>>> 5574656 bytes increase in .text
>>> 643072 bytes increase in .rdata
>>> 573440 bytes increase in .pdata
>>> 57344 bytes increase in .reloc