[llvm-dev] [RFC] Annotating global functions and variables to prevent ICF during linking

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 7 12:26:18 PDT 2021

Three things:

1. if chrome already has a mechanism/hack to make functions distinct in the
face of icf=all, do we really need to add a compiler feature?

2. Are we sure functions aren't ending up in the addrsig table spuriously
(and that the addrsig table isn't getting lost)? IOW: are the additional
functions that get emitted with icf=safe really needed (as far as
reasonable compiler analysis can determine), or should/could they have been
removed?

3. If we _do_ need to implement something here (which I'm skeptical of) it
would be better to add a compiler flag which adjusts how the contents of
the addrsig table are computed, vs adding a new linker mechanism.

You'd continue to link with icf=safe, but the compiler option would allow
more functions to be merged, by putting fewer into addrsig.

This would also allow the "unsafe" semantics to be per-TU instead of global
for the entire link, allowing you not to break other libraries that may be
linked into the same binary.