[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Hubert Tong via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 13 07:51:24 PDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 10:39 AM Daniel Martín via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Renato Golin <rengolin at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > Don't they give you the opportunity to amend the commit message, at
> least? I vaguely remember it's possible.
> >

> If you mean "amend" like in "git commit --amend", it's generally a bad
> idea to rewrite repository history that has already been published.
>
> If you mean "amend" the message in the Web UI before merging, then yes,
> they let you change the message, but it's very easy to forget to do
> that.

You could even remember, but GitHub's web application (at least when used
with Firefox) could, after failing due to transient connection problems,
revert your message changes. This is in addition to the annoyance of GitHub
pages reloading with outdated state and previously-submitted messages
appearing as being under draft.