[llvm-dev] LTO'd / PGO'd Pre-built Release Binary

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 7 05:50:42 PDT 2020

A compiler built with LTO / PGO can significantly improve build times. Locally I see ~10% reduction in compilation times of Debug or Release versions of clang/llvm using an LTO'd clang compiler. This is not really news of course (e.g. recently also reconfirmed in https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/802/), but that made me curious if we can and/or should enable LTO and/or PGO to create our prebuilt binaries?

The disadvantage for our release people will be obvious: that will take a lot more time and resources. But would it be worth to make this investment?

Cheers,
Sjoerd.