[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Can we remove llvmbb from IRC?

Nico Weber via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 1 13:20:00 PDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 12:42 PM Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If a bot is always broken it shouldn't be sending email/notifications -
>>> generally they are configured only to send email on green>red and red>green
>>> transitions, so if it's already broken you shouldn't be blamed for it. If
>>> you are seeing bot spam or emails from a bot that's already red, please
>>> email llvm-dev and the bot maintainer and ask the bot to be reconfigured or
>>> disabled.
>>>
>>> If a bot is regularly flakey (& thus sending email/notifications that
>>> are false-positives/that no one can act on) please also send email asking
>>> for the bot to be reconfigured or disabled. (or, if you want to be a bit
>>> more punchy - send a patch to the zorg repository to have the bot disabled
>>> & explain why you're proposing that)
>>>

>> I agree with this in the abstract, but I get pinged completely reliably
>> at least twice after every single of my commits. This isn't something that
>> sometimes happens, it's something that always happens.
>>

> Could you point to specific buildbots/email when that comes up to help
> improve things both on IRC and email/mailing lists, etc?

Just land a change :) Or look at IRC scrollback. Given how easy it is to
find these problems, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of appetite for
improving this. Hence me asking about removing llvmbb (...and so far
everyone seems to be in favor).

In this case, from my IRC scrollback (there's more people on the blamelist,
spread over several follow-on IRC messages):

build #13975 of clang-ppc64le-linux-multistage is complete: Failure [failed
ninja check 1]  Build details are at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-ppc64le-linux-multistage/builds/13975
 blamelist: LLVM GN Syncbot <llvmgnsyncbot at gmail.com>, Nico Weber <
thakis at chromium.org>

build #24132 of clang-with-thin-lto-ubuntu is complete: Failure [failed
test-stage1-compiler]  Build details are at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-with-thin-lto-ubuntu/builds/24132
 blamelist: Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org>, Matt Arsenault <
Matthew.Arsenault at amd.com>, Eric Astor <epastor at google.com>, Craig Topper <
craig.topper at intel.com>, Alina

 build #2255 of lld-x86_64-win is complete: Failure [failed test-check-all]
 Build details are at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/lld-x86_64-win/builds/2255  blamelist:
LLVM GN Syncbot <llvmgnsyncbot at gmail.com>, Eric Astor <epastor at google.com>,
Craig Topper <craig.topper at intel.com>, Alina Sbirlea <asbirlea at google.com>,
Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org>, Amara

I also got email with pointers to:
http://green.lab.llvm.org/green//job/clang-stage1-RA/14180/consoleFull#-1417328700a1ca8a51-895e-46c6-af87-ce24fa4cd561

Chances are that there's something genuinely broken somewhere (maybe
compiler-rt?), but asking for concrete bots distracts from the point that
there's something broken on every single commit, which makes the bot just
let you know that you committed something in the last few hours.