[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 20:58:57 PDT 2020

<ctetreau at quicinc.com>

https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/blob/master/tensorflow/workspace.bzl#L689-L697

> [...]
 >>> Tom and Renato expressed clear concerns, and I believe I really
tried to
 >>> listen and address these with concrete proposals to mitigate:
 >>> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-October/146182.html
 >>> However there is not much I can do to address folks who object because
 >>> "they don't see the interest" in it, this isn't a productive way of
 >> moving
 >>> forward with such proposal IMO.

 >> better

 >> and
 >>>
 >>> I hope you're not implying I'd be dishonest here right?
 >>
 >> Long story short, I did not try to imply you were dishonest.
 >>

 > Yes, I know you :)
 > (actually I thought I included a wink smiley above, but apparently not,
 > sorry about that)
 >

 >> I'm saying that the sentence "has zero-cost maintenance on the
community"
 >> cannot be true in a general sense but only in a narrow one. I
believe that
 >> everything has cost. I added, "let's be honest", because the cost is not
 >> obvious and one can easily overlook it. However, I assumed we all know
 >> there has to be one as it would otherwise conflict with some universal
 >> law or something. The way I see it you acknowledge the existence in
a few
 >> other places.

 >>> "zero-cost" is well defined: it is "as a community member: feel free to
 >>> ignore, no one will bother you about it", and a subset of the community
 >>> signed up for the maintenance.
 >>> I think it is also helpful to be concrete here: we have existing
data and
 >>> history with `gn`, it isn't hypothetical.
 >>>
 >>> To be sure I address your previous email, that was about user
 >> expectations
 >>> right? i.e. was it this part:

 >>> which can certainly be a benefit but also a cost", e.g., when the build
 >> is
 >>> not properly maintained, support is scarce, etc. and emails come in
 >>> complaining about it (not thinking of prior examples here.)
 >>>
 >>> Isn't this similar to the concerns from Renato here:
 >>> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-October/146179.html ?
 >>> I acknowledge this as very valid concerns and offered some
possibility to
 >>> mitigate:
 >> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-October/146188.html

 >> Bazel
 >>>>
 >>> I doubt we wouldn't have got rid of Autoconf if a chunk of the
community
 >>> offered to maintain it at "no cost" (again see definition).
 >>
 >> It broke, ppl complained, and nobody wanted to fix it. That is the
 >> kind of technical debt (aka. cost) you can accumulate.

 >>> Can you provide more concrete reference to these things that could have
 >>> been integrated in similar "zero cost" fashion?
 >>> I'm all for consistency, and the only point of comparison here is `gn`.
 >>
 >> Let's say RV, in a subfolder not build by default.

Sorry, the region vectorizer [0,1]. Came to mind because it is the last
thing I wished we had upstream so I could use it without forking under a
cmake flag.

[0] https://github.com/cdl-saarland/rv
[1] http://llvm.org/devmtg/2016-11/Slides/Moll-RV.pdf

 >> Or any other
 >> project that was proposed for inclusion without being build by
 >> default. (I remember also the discussion if we can/should add
 >> isl to llvm, pre-mono repo.)
 >>

 > I am not sure I agree that we can compare new "projects" (or
something like
 > ISL) with "utilities for LLVM users".
 > I would expect a more comparable situation to me to be:
 > - the gdb scripts in llvm/utils/gdb-scripts/prettyprinters.py
 > - IDE visualizer in llvm/utils/LLVMVisualizers
 > - The Visual Studio Code syntax highlighting for LLVM IR and TableGen in
 > llvm/utils/vscode ; and similar for kate, jedit, vim, textmate, ...
 > - the gn files in llvm/utils/gn
 >
 > The general theme here is that these are not "new projects" in
themselves:
 > they are highly coupled to LLVM itself and only allow a specific
subset of
 > users to plug their tool/workflow into LLVM at a given revision.
 > Also all of these are "zero cost" in that they may be "broken" and
 > maintained with best effort (I don't think we revert someone breaking any
 > of the visualizer or syntax highlighter?). And none of these are really
 > core to LLVM, and each could be in a separate repo where the interested
 > parties could maintain it.

If I want to use isl, RV, project XYZ from an in-tree pass, you cannot
upstream it if the dependences are not upstream or properly hooked up.
Both things have been very hard to get into upstream llvm in the past.
I'm aware this is a build system we are talking about so it's a bit
different
but conceptually we should have better guidelines for integration of
code not
build by default, especially the code that is not planned to be enabled by
default any time soon.

Eric mentioned in a follow up that he is more inclined to accept such
code, at
least that is what I read. I am actually as well, probably always was ;)
I have no problem with gn, bazel, ... but I want us to be similarly open to
other projects that are used by the community and benefit from integration
without burdening everyone.

~ Johannes