[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

Dave Lee via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 14:00:58 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 1:14 PM Sterling Augustine via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:29 PM Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I think Renato has articulated quite well some concerns I have about this
>> but was unable to express. I would very much prefer if we just focus on
>> using CMake effectively.

>> For example, when trying to implement the same logic on both will not be
>> trivial. So, whenever we want to add some functionality or improve how we
>> build LLVM with one system, we'll have to do so in multiple build systems
>> that do not easily match each other.
>>

> Google already does all of this work, and has for years. I think it is
> fair to say that it hasn't been a burden on the community.

As far as I can tell, the only burden would be the existence of bazel files
in the repo, but scoped within a directory most will never look at and can
ignore. The issue of extra files seems of most concern to anyone who is
tracking/optimizing repo size or file and commit count.

> I can definitely see folks who use cmake not wanting more hassle--that may
> be a valid reason not to do it.

What would be the hassle to cmake users?

Dave