[llvm-dev] [Debuginfo] Changing llvm.dbg.value and DBG_VALUE to support multiple location operands

Tozer, Stephen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 8 04:07:31 PDT 2020

> So I wonder if we should instead model this only at the MIR level, where this distinction actually makes sense. In MIR, we probably don't want to rewrite every DIExpression, so it would make sense to model it either as a flag on the intrinsic, or by have two kinds of intrinsics.

That works for me - as long as we have the ability to represent these expressions, it should be fine. What will be slightly awkward is maintaining this at the same time as the old DBG_VALUE; having two flags on two different but related instructions with the same name and meanings that are almost the same but slightly different. Still, the old version will be deprecated so we shouldn't have to worry too much.