[llvm-dev] [Debuginfo] Changing llvm.dbg.value and DBG_VALUE to support multiple location operands

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 10:40:07 PDT 2020

> On Oct 7, 2020, at 5:38 AM, Tozer, Stephen <stephen.tozer at sony.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't see how this is a meaningful distinction in LLVM IR. In LLVM IR we only have SSA values. An SSA value could be an alloca, or a gep into an alloca, or spilled onto the stack at the MIR level, in which case the dbg.value should get lowered into a memory location (if it isn't explicitly a DW_OP_stack_value).
>
> I think the distinction is still important; even at the IR level, if we have a dbg.value that uses an alloca or something similar, we can still distinguish between "this alloca is the variable's location" versus "this alloca is the variable's value", i.e. the variable itself is a pointer to a local variable. In IR, we implicitly distinguish between these by using dbg.declare/dbg.addr for the former, and dbg.value for the latter. In MIR, we use the indirectness flag instead. DW_OP_LLVM_direct can supplant the latter.
>
> Apologies for the somewhat confusing explanation thus far; in the IR stage, I think that actually we wouldn't need to produce DW_OP_LLVM_direct at all (although there's no harm in doing so) as long as we have the existing set of debug variable intrinsics, because "directness" is already made explicit by the choice of intrinsic.

That is exactly what I was trying figure out. My concern is that it would be confusing to add a DWARF expression extension at the LLVM IR level that has not semantic effect. If we don't add a Verifier check that it is consistently applied then inevitably various frontends will start producing either variant of DIExpression. If we do add a Verifier check, then we are effectively adding a pointless extra field to every DIExpression that has no effect. In either case it would be hard to explain to new LLVM developers why this operation exists in LLVM IR.
So I wonder if we should instead model this only at the MIR level, where this distinction actually makes sense. In MIR, we probably don't want to rewrite every DIExpression, so it would make sense to model it either as a flag on the intrinsic, or by have two kinds of intrinsics.

What do you think about making this a property of MIR instead?

-- adrian