[llvm-dev] [RFC] Adding a char set converter to Support library

Kai Peter Nacke via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 06:59:53 PDT 2020

I see that there is a great emphasis on deterministic behavior on all
platforms.
I'll update my code accordingly, as there is no need to have more
conversions right now.
It also make the change much smaller.

Thanks for all the comments!

Regards,
Kai

<Yusra.Syeda at ibm.com>
> Subject: [EXT] Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC] Adding a char set converter to
> Support library
>
> My understanding is that dynamically linking should pose no problem,
> but I am no lawyer. On Linux, glibc is also under LGPL license, and
> LLVM usually links against it.
> (There is really no need for us to depend on libiconv. If it is
> deemed to risky, then I can dropped it.)
>

> From:   Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info>
> To:     Kai Peter Nacke <kai.nacke at de.ibm.com>
> Cc:     llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>, Yusra Syeda
> <Yusra.Syeda at ibm.com>
> Date:   02.10.2020 19:08
> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC] Adding a char set
> converter to Support library
>

> As far as I remember, libiconv is under LGPL. Will this cause any
troubles?

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:13 PM Kai Peter Nacke via llvm-dev <llvm-
> dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > On z/OS, there is the need to convert strings from EBCDIC to UTF-8 and
> > vice versa.
> > Using the POSIX iconv functions has some challenges, so I created a
> small
> > wrapper
> > around this functionality to get the same result on all platforms.
> > This functionality is required for reading and writing GOFF object
> > files and can also be
> used
> > in the
> > frontend.
> > I put up the code on Phabricator
> INVALID URI REMOVED
> u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D88741&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=43FMMTMN1rMQYLfzcfWYI9JmFbjyCLLZVkpxUNJkDuQ&m=sWBaZY-

XUunyyPTGF0O0RoXv4zr8Jhs_12PiXnHZssY&s=ToJNhho_wxlsDmdRsG0Eimm9nAIr_be4wlwM6SGo2c4&e=
> . Please
> > add your
> > comments to the review if you are interested in this topic.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Kai
> >
> > Kai Nacke
> > IT Architect
> >
> > IBM Deutschland GmbH
> > Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Sebastian Krause
> > Geschäftsführung: Gregor Pillen (Vorsitzender), Agnes Heftberger,
> Norbert
> > Janzen, Markus Koerner, Christian Noll, Nicole Reimer Sitz der
> > Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
> Stuttgart,
> > HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

> siA1ZOg&r=43FMMTMN1rMQYLfzcfWYI9JmFbjyCLLZVkpxUNJkDuQ&m=sWBaZY-

XUunyyPTGF0O0RoXv4zr8Jhs_12PiXnHZssY&s=KyVectWeKXSputV9dDx46gCXj6AavdtD0LGW4XexTTM&e=