[llvm-dev] RFC: Deleting git-svn folder (git-llvm, git-svnrevert, git-svnup)

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 12 16:31:59 PDT 2020

On 5/12/20 5:40 PM, Tom Stellard wrote:
> On 05/12/2020 03:23 PM, Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev wrote:
>> For some reason this thread seems to be gone in a wrong direction. I'm sorry for that.
>>

>> The discussion on the RFC asked for a reason to keep the script, I think we heard reasons to do so (due to branches).
>>
>> Now, I was unable to determine if the `git llvm` scripts was removed "just as part of the bunch" or if we expect a problem with the script.
>>
>> If it is the former, are there reasons against adding it back?
>>
> The reason I am in favor of removing this script is that it avoids the
> problem where people report problems with their local git configuration
> as bugs in the script.

I see. I did not expect that was happening.

I was hoping it would allow us to solve common problems, .e.g., what we
learn form the threads asking how to deal with git directly.

I also thought, the script would give us also a nice way forward once we
change our workflow again (without requiring everyone to do it manually).

Cheers,

   Johannes