[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding a staging branch (temporarily) to facilitate upstreaming

Duncan Exon Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 30 14:02:56 PDT 2020

> On 2020-Jun-30, at 13:28, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:15 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>
>> IMO, a pull request isn't as clear given that they haven't been used for contributions before. This is not a time to be innovative IMO. A branch as a staging location has been used many times over the history of the project though and seems nicely unambiguous in that regard.
>
> I don’t have a opinion on this either way, but can git/GitHub maintain forks within the same organization?  You could have llvm/llvm-project and llvm/llvm-project-apple-staging or something like that?

I don't think GitHub allows you fork your own repo so I think it would be disconnected from a GitHub point of view. That has a few downsides, although I'm not sure how important they are.

Regardless, if a separate repo is preferred, then a better name from our perspective would be "llvm-project-staging" (dropping the "-apple" suffix). We could push a "staging/apple" branch there.

Duncan