[llvm-dev] [RFC] Semi-Automatic clang-format of files with low frequency

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 30 09:26:23 PDT 2020

I’m in favor of this because, like you said, unless we do something like this, we’ll never get there. Frankly, I think the inactive period should be much shorter. I would even go so far as to say something like 1 month of inactivity. This codebase is under heavy development, so any code under active development will likely be touched in a 1 month period. 6-12 months will only catch the truly stable code, but any code that only gets minimal changes will never reach 100% coverage.

I would also like to see a threshold (maybe on a per-file or per-subfolder level of granularity) where once the coverage gets over the threshold, we just “rip the band-aid off” and clang-format everything. Suppose we set the threshold at 90%, and Foo.cpp is over 90% formatted, we just format the entire file and be done with it.

I’m sympathetic to the argument that these sorts of change make managing downstreams more difficult, I maintain one myself.  However, I would argue that finishing the formatting as fast as possible will reduce downstream pain because after the codebase is completely formatted, it’ll just be done and there will be no more formatting churn. As it stands, we constantly have to deal with formatting changes because there’s always new ones.

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault