[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `job` in source code?

Jules Penuchot via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 25 03:14:21 PDT 2020

Hi Denis,

On 6/25/20 10:46 AM, Denis Antrushin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Does "Master of Science" (Science is enslaved!) is offensive?
> "Remastered Edition" (poor edition?)?
"Master" of Science doesn't refer to slavery (as opposed to
"master/slave"), so likely not.

> Or "Black Hole" (disclaimer: this is astronomical term, not insult)?
It's not associating black/white with bad/good in that case, so likely not.

> If not, why "master branch" is?
The context here is that "master" is being used to describe a
subordination relationship ("master/slave"), thus referring directly to
slavery.

> Are we going to ban all words having any negative meanings?
If computer science had been inclusive from the beginning we wouldn't
have to question wording, so I guess it's only the fairest thing we can
do right now.

> ```
>  If you have a word like “good”, what need is there for a word like
> “bad”? “Ungood” will do just as well
> ```
>
> 1984
The comparison between oppressed people claiming back space in
high-stakes domains like computer science and an authoritarian regime
that enforces a new language just to suppress revolutionary ideas is
irrelevant. People are protesting around the world because they've been
living under constant monitoring and oppression by representatives of
states that are authoritarian towards them (e.g. systematically
unpunished murders from police officers, unlawful arrests, severe
judgements, etc.).This is what leads us to question vocabulary that
directly refers to the roots of that discriminatory violence.

Regards,
Jules