[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `job` in source code?

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 21 12:01:28 PDT 2020

> On Jun 21, 2020, at 4:49 AM, Ivan Kush via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Here we've began discussion about "master"
> https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-June/142448.html <https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-June/142448.html>
>
> Lets remove Job word completely
> But as one can easily fact-check, in Russian (slavic?) language,
> for example, the word "Worker" can be translated as "Работник", "Рабочий".
> Similarly the word "Job" can be translated as "Работа".
> As you may notice, they all contain "Раб", which, as you can easily
> check, literally translates to "slave".
> To Russian people it doesn't seem very inclusive use words with such dubious origin.
>
> We have many uses of Job word
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/search?q=job&unscoped_q=job

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for raising this issue.  I haven’t heard much industry consensus that the word ‘job’ is a problem - are there other communities considering such a change?

I’m concerned that a policy around “any English word that can be translated to an unfortunate term in another language” could be too broad to be useful.  The discussion around “master" isn’t related to translations.

-Chris