[llvm-dev] LLVM-IR store-load propagation

Matteo Favaro via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 10:45:05 PDT 2020

Thanks Florian,

I'm happy to hear that in principle the transformation is correct. I
omitted that the "pattern" is actually obtained after lifting some
obfuscated x86_64 assembly to LLVM-IR, so I don't expect this to be
commonly found in the code generated by a compiler. In my case limiting it
to 2 possible values was fine because I was aware of the trick being
implemented by that pair of 'store' and 'load' instructions, but as you
pointed out it could be generalized to any amount of unknown bits in the
index used by the 'load'. Although I still think limiting this to just a
few free bits it's going to cover the majority of the practical cases.

I noticed that the explanation of the dummy pass I shared in the first
email wasn't really good, but I'm basically doing the same exact steps you
are explaining in the example, in fact I can even confirm that the
amount of checks is really limited (assuming a previous analysis pass
provided the known/unknown bits for the index variable) and that the other
optimization passes properly take care of the propagation (as shown in the
original example).

In my case instead of undoing the transformation I'm preemptively checking
if there's at least a 'store' to one of the indexed memory slots, so in the
worst case we end up with a propagated value and a single 'load'. The
scalability issue here is caused by the checks on the presence of the
previous 'store' instruction, especially because I don't know how to do it
in case the values are more than 2. Specifically I don't know how to
quickly link the indexes used by the 'store' and 'load' instruction
starting from the single knowledge of the index used by the 'load'
instruction.

Assuming there's no solid way to track the amount of 'store' instructions
that would guarantee the optimization: how would it be possible to obtain
the undoing of the transformation without entering an infinite loop (of
transformation back and forth) or ending up with worse code?

Regarding the DeadStoreElimination pass I'll look into its implementation,
but my question was more related to knowing if there are best practices or
some tricks that could be used to implement it in a safe way (e.g. instead
of generating the indexes values from the unknown bits, using an available
pass that already computes them). By no means my code (
https://pastebin.com/fCVs8Gms) would be good enough to be integrated in an
official LLVM pass, hence why I referred to it as a 'custom' pass :)

Cheers,
Matteo