[llvm-dev] LLVM-IR store-load propagation

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 02:16:11 PDT 2020

Hi,

> [...]
>
> I then decided to explicitly access the local buffer with constant indexes and see if LLVM would have been able to identify that CC could have been either 0 or 1 (effectively avoiding the 'default' case of the switch and therefore the '0xdeadc0de' constant). As a result the function 'tgt' is optimized in the way I would expect it to be.
>
> This also seemed to be a good exercise for Alive2, so I fed it with the unoptimized 'src' and the optimized 'tgt' functions to prove their equivalence, obtaining the result 'Transformation seems to be correct'. As a counter-proof I tampered with the logic or modified the constants, obtaining a valid proof of why the transformation wasn't correct (effectively showing that the original 'src' and 'tgt' functions may actually be semantically equivalent).
>
> To replicate the Alive2 result at https://alive2.llvm.org <https://alive2.llvm.org/>, the following input can be used:
>
> define i64 @_Z3srcm(i64 %Flags) {
> entry:
>   %Memory = alloca [2 x i64], align 16
>   %and = lshr i64 %Flags, 6
>   %shr = and i64 %and, 1
>   %0 = bitcast [2 x i64]* %Memory to i8*
>   %arrayidx = getelementptr inbounds [2 x i64], [2 x i64]* %Memory, i64 0, i64 0
>   store i64 5369966919, i64* %arrayidx, align 16
>   %arrayidx1 = getelementptr inbounds [2 x i64], [2 x i64]* %Memory, i64 0, i64 1
>   store i64 5369966790, i64* %arrayidx1, align 8
>   %arrayidx2 = getelementptr inbounds [2 x i64], [2 x i64]* %Memory, i64 0, i64 %shr
>   %1 = load i64, i64* %arrayidx2, align 8
>   ret i64 %1
> }
>
> define i64 @_Z3tgtm(i64 %Flags) {
> entry:
>   %0 = and i64 %Flags, 64
>   %trunc = icmp eq i64 %0, 0
>   %. = select i1 %trunc, i64 5369966919, i64 5369966790
>   ret i64 %.
> }
>
> At this point I decided to replicate the 'tgt' function logic and coded a quick LLVM pass that:
> uses the known/unknown computed bits information to identify a non-volatile 'load' instruction that uses an index proved to have only two possible values;
>  check if there's at least one 'store' to the accessed buffer using one of the two indexes;
> converts the single 'load' instruction into two 'load' instructions using the concrete indexes;
> generates a 'select' instruction that returns one of the two loaded values, using as condition a check on the index.
> The pass seems to be working fine, but I'm left wondering if LLVM is purposefully avoiding such an optimization, and if so what is the reason to do so (e.g. hard to prove that the optimization is actually going to improve the quality of the code, the logic I'm using is completely off the rails).

This transform seems fine in principal and I don’t think there is fundamental reason we do not perform this transform currently. The challenge is to do the transform in a correct and scalable way. It would be interesting how often this triggers in practice. Limiting it to indices with 2 possible values might not be very effective in practice.

> Assuming the logic it's correct and this could be seen as a new custom optimization pass, what would be the suggested way to implement it in a solid and generic fashion?

I would recommend looking into extending DeadStoreElimination [1] to handle the scenario. We already deal with merging stores to overlapping memory locations there (see the code dealing with InstOverlapIntervals) and it might be possible to extend that. Note that the legacy DSE mostly works in a single basic block, but there’s also a version that use MemorySSA and works across multiple basic blocks.

An alternative to implementing the transform directly might be transforming the input into something that other passes already handle naturally instead.

For example, if you turn the single  load  '%1 = load i64, i64* %arrayidx2, align 8’ into separate loads for each known index and replace all users with a select on the new loads, DSE will already handle it properly [2]. And that transform should require much less checks. Of course you’d have to make sure to undo the transform, if the loads couldn’t be eliminated.

Cheers,
Florian

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/llvm/lib/Transforms/Scalar/DeadStoreElimination.cpp <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/llvm/lib/Transforms/Scalar/DeadStoreElimination.cpp>
[2] https://godbolt.org/z/U2NUht <https://godbolt.org/z/U2NUht>