[llvm-dev] RFC: A top level monorepo CMake file

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 18 12:07:24 PDT 2020

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Josh Stone <jistone at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/20 11:27 AM, Steven Wu via llvm-dev wrote:
>> I like the proposal but I would like to go even further. If we are going
>> to create a top level CMake file, we should just go ahead and eliminate
>> all the standalone build configuration. The standalone build should just
>> be `cmake <monorepo-root> -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=standalone-project
>> ...`. That means less build configuration to maintain which is always good.
>
> This would break the release of standalone source tarballs, no?

That is a problem we can fix. We just need to ship those tarballs with some processing by including the top-level cmake and cmake modules, and removing all other subdirectories.
I don't think we have split standalone repo so it is just about release management. Yes, all the clients will have to build standalone projects differently so it is a workflow break but it should be acceptable.

Steven