[llvm-dev] Nested instruction patterns rejected by GlobalISel when having registers in Defs

Gabriel Hjort Åkerlund via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 8 08:13:01 PDT 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for replying; I was hoping to get in touch with you on this issue.

I had a look at how SelectionIDAG does it when generating the matcher table,
and it does consider the implicit defs as additional output. Here is the
match table generated for the pattern:

/*     0*/ OPC_CheckOpcode, TARGET_VAL(ISD::SIGN_EXTEND),

/*     3*/ OPC_MoveChild0,

/*     4*/ OPC_CheckOpcode, TARGET_VAL(ISD::SHL),

/*     7*/ OPC_MoveChild0,

/*     8*/ OPC_CheckOpcode, TARGET_VAL(ISD::ANY_EXTEND),

/*    11*/ OPC_RecordChild0, // #0 = $src

/*    12*/ OPC_CheckChild0Type, MVT::i16,

/*    14*/ OPC_MoveParent,

/*    15*/ OPC_RecordChild1, // #1 = $imm

/*    16*/ OPC_MoveChild1,

/*    17*/ OPC_CheckOpcode, TARGET_VAL(ISD::Constant),

/*    20*/ OPC_CheckPredicate, 0, // Predicate_Imm_17_31_i16

/*    22*/ OPC_CheckType, MVT::i16,

/*    24*/ OPC_MoveParent,

/*    25*/ OPC_CheckType, MVT::i32,

/*    27*/ OPC_MoveParent,

/*    28*/ OPC_CheckType, MVT::i40,

/*    30*/ OPC_EmitNode1, TARGET_VAL(TargetOpcode::IMPLICIT_DEF), 0,

               MVT::i40, 0/*#Ops*/,  // Results = #2

/*    36*/ OPC_EmitNode1, TARGET_VAL(TargetOpcode::IMPLICIT_DEF), 0,

               MVT::i32, 0/*#Ops*/,  // Results = #3

/*    42*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i32, OurTarget::hi16, // Results = #4

/*    45*/ OPC_EmitNode1, TARGET_VAL(TargetOpcode::INSERT_SUBREG), 0,

               MVT::i32, 3/*#Ops*/, 3, 0, 4,  // Results = #5

/*    54*/ OPC_EmitNode1, TARGET_VAL(OurTarget::clearLo32_pseudo), 0,

               MVT::i32, 1/*#Ops*/, 5,  // Results = #6

/*    61*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i16, 0,

/*    64*/ OPC_EmitRegister, MVT::i16, 0 /*zero_reg*/,

/*    67*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i16, 0,

/*    70*/ OPC_EmitNode2, TARGET_VAL(OurTarget::shfts_a32_imm7), 0,

               MVT::i32, MVT::i16, 5/*#Ops*/, 6, 1, 7, 8, 9,  // Results =
#10 #11

/*    82*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i32, OurTarget::acc,

/*    85*/ OPC_EmitNode1, TARGET_VAL(TargetOpcode::INSERT_SUBREG), 0,

               MVT::i40, 3/*#Ops*/, 2, 10, 12,  // Results = #13

/*    94*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i16, 0,

/*    97*/ OPC_EmitRegister, MVT::i16, 0 /*zero_reg*/,

/*   100*/ OPC_EmitInteger, MVT::i16, 0,

/*   103*/ OPC_MorphNodeTo1, TARGET_VAL(OurTarget::sext_a32), 0,

               MVT::i40, 4/*#Ops*/, 13, 14, 15, 16, ...

The line of interest here is the one below /*    70 */. There, we can see
that the instruction produces two results of type MVT::i32 (the value
produced by the instruction) respectively MVT::i16 (the CCReg updated by the
instruction). These are labeled as results #10 respectively #11. Looking at
operand identifiers after /*#Ops*/, we can see that only #10 is used by the
rest of the resulting pattern (by INSERT_SUBREG), which is as intended.

However, in the destination pattern declared in the *.td file, there is no
information pertaining to which of the results should be used by the parent
node. Since only tree-shaped patterns are allowed, SelectionIDAG must
somehow decide which of the results are to be used by the parent node. And
this decision is taken at lines 869-870 in DAGISelMatcherGen.cpp:

    unsigned FinalNumOps = InstOps.size() + NumSubOps;

    while (InstOps.size() < FinalNumOps) {

      const TreePatternNode *Child = N->getChild(ChildNo);

      unsigned BeforeAddingNumOps = InstOps.size();

      EmitResultOperand(Child, InstOps);

      assert(InstOps.size() > BeforeAddingNumOps && "Didn't add any
operands");

      // If the operand is an instruction and it produced multiple results,
just

      // take the first one.

      if (!Child->isLeaf() &&
Child->getOperator()->isSubClassOf("Instruction"))

        InstOps.resize(BeforeAddingNumOps+1);

      ++ChildNo;

    }

In other words, if a child produces more than one result SelectionIDAG
always takes the first result. Those two lines originate from a patch by
Chris Lattner (r99725), so presumably this is the correct way of doing it.
If GlobalISel were to do the same, it would solve the issue I'm having with
our patterns.

Best regards,

Gabriel

  _____