[llvm-dev] LLVM Incubator + new projects draft

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 1 13:44:16 PDT 2020

> On Jul 1, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Stella Laurenzo <stellaraccident at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:22 AM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
> One other thought, since it came up on the apple branch thread.
>
> I think we need to be very specific about the fact that code in an incubator has been contributed to LLVM.  I think this is implicit in the statements about license and policy, but having this be made explicit seems worthwhile.  This would, for instance, make it obvious that code could be moved between repository without further involvement of the original authors.
>
> Again, I think this is covered by the existing text, but leaving no room for ambiguity here seems worthwhile.  :)
>

> +1 - This is actually a significant part of why I originally advocated for this approach. The reality is that many of us have various hurdles and ambiguities around collaborating with each other but are explicitly allowed/encouraged to do so in the context of contributions to LLVM and engaging in public as part of this community. Being explicit that a contribution to an incubator project is a contribution to LLVM is a bright line that is easy to point at (and hopefully understand). I'll leave the opinion of whether it is fine to leave this implicit vs explicit to those more knowledgeable about the vagaries of such things.

Thanks Philip and Stella,

It is hard to be concrete about this with specificity, but I added a new line to address this at the end of the first paragraph of the Incubator section:

"This also allows collaboration between teams that have a special carveout for working with projects in the LLVM umbrella.”

In my opinion, incubator projects are unarguably “part of the LLVM umbrella”, but companies may have different policies - including limiting contributions to specific subproject, specific targets, etc.  Lemme know if this seems like a reasonable middle path to you.

-Chris