[llvm-dev] LLVM Incubator + new projects draft

Stella Laurenzo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 1 12:31:51 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:22 AM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> One other thought, since it came up on the apple branch thread.
>
> I think we need to be very specific about the fact that code in an
> incubator has been contributed to LLVM.  I think this is implicit in the
> statements about license and policy, but having this be made explicit seems
> worthwhile.  This would, for instance, make it obvious that code could be
> moved between repository without further involvement of the original
> authors.
>
> Again, I think this is covered by the existing text, but leaving no room
> for ambiguity here seems worthwhile.  :)

+1 - This is actually a significant part of why I originally advocated for
this approach. The reality is that many of us have various hurdles and
ambiguities around collaborating with each other but are explicitly
allowed/encouraged to do so in the context of contributions to LLVM and
engaging in public as part of this community. Being explicit that a
contribution to an incubator project is a contribution to LLVM is a bright
line that is easy to point at (and hopefully understand). I'll leave the
opinion of whether it is fine to leave this implicit vs explicit to those
more knowledgeable about the vagaries of such things.