[llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 14 10:46:00 PST 2020

Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> Honestly, the fact that I have to either user Arcanist or edit the
> comments metadata by hand or use the UI to do a simple task is asking
> a bit too much.

This brings something else to mind for me.  Another advantage of GitHub
is that there are many tools out there that work with it.  Not so much
for Phab.  As an Emacs user, getting access to magit/forge's ability to
interact with GitHub PRs would be amazing.

> I think we need to move from "how apt is GitHub's PR UI in emulating
> what Phab does" to "what do we really need from a review UI and how
> simple it is the process for both contributors and reviewers".

Absolutely.  Reviewing a patch series has always seemed a bit counter to
LLVM's development philosophy of small, incremental changes.  I
understand the need to provide context for large changes (I have posted
mega-patches in Phab for that purpose), but the path to get to the large
change has always been small, incremental changes.

We have used one-commit-per-PR in our downstream for quite some time now
and it works well.

                     -David