[llvm-dev] Flang landing in the monorepo - next Monday!

Peter Waller via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 9 06:40:16 PST 2020

On 09/01/2020 03:16, Mehdi AMINI wrote:
What is the latest/current proposed merge commit showing what will be pushed to the monorepo?

Please see [0] and [1].

If you want a one-liner to obtain the master branch as it would look after the merge, this will create a directory called llvm-project-post-merge:

git clone --single-branch -b rewritten-history-v4-llvm-project-merge https://github.com/peterwaller-arm/f18 llvm-project-post-merge

(single-branch is necessary to avoid pulling down all the other branches I have in there).

Can you make sure to prune/repack the repo before pushing?

My understanding is that when I say "git push", object negotiation happens between my git client and github, and the objects github needs are sent there. I will only be pushing one ref (master), so I don't expect prune will have an effect. I don't see any way to control the repacking on the github side.

It's not github, but gitlab's docs say they repack after all pushes: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/housekeeping.html

I imagine github do the same. I can't find anything in their docs to that effect that I can link to. I've written to github support to them to ask what to expect. As a quick experiment I compared the size of the packfiles after a clone of each:

840M    llvm-project-single-branch/.git
805M    f18-post-merge-single-branch/.git

Hmm, the rewritten history branch, with both llvm and f18, is smaller than f18 alone. This suggests to me that the repositories aren't repacked at the same rate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I can repack for good measure, but I don't think it will affect anyone other than me.

Are the license header updated to be the LLVM license?
The test don't seem to be lit-based testing: is this part of the TODO list?

Yes on both counts. Please see Richard Barton's email, points 3 and 5 in [2] where he collects a list of concerns like this.

[0] https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18/pull/854#issuecomment-572578180

[1] https://github.com/peterwaller-arm/f18/commits/rewritten-history-v4-llvm-project-merge

[2] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-January/138103.html