[llvm-dev] Unable to build llvm/clang 10.0.1 sources using visual studio 2017 compiler

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 14 10:34:26 PST 2020

We do still support the VS 2017 compiler series, but we don't support the
earliest release. Try updating VS 2017.

I looked at the code in raw_ostream.h, reduced it, and did some experiments
with it on godbolt:
https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/5WvEz9
As you can see, MSVC 19.10 rejects this code, but 19.14 and newer accept
this code. So, my recommendation is to update the compiler. You don't have
to upgrade to VS 2019, you just need to run the updater inside Visual
Studio.

Coincidentally, we recently raised our minimum _MSC_VER from 1910 to 1914
for unrelated reasons:
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/e61a6a229a992d291da81ab96299669e8d28d6ad

If upgrading is impossible, you can simply delete the `enum` tag in the
declaration of changeColors.