[llvm-dev] RFC Adding Fortran tests to LLVM Test Suite

Diana Picus via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 14 03:41:42 PST 2020

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 18:32, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 17:06, Romero, Nichols A. <naromero at anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am working on identifying some OSS applications and benchmarks.
>>

> Awesome!
>
> Are they in some public dashboard like this one?
>> http://lab.llvm.org:8011/#/console
>>

> Yes, though it's not really obvious (or even easy) to find that out. :(
>
> You can look at the configuration file:
>
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-zorg/blob/master/buildbot/osuosl/master/config/builders.py
>
> If the builder is using `ClangBuilder`, just check the ones that have the
> option: `runTestSuite=True`
>
> I can see Arm, AArch64, PPC, IBM-Z, X86.

Note however that many of those aren't building flang :) You might find this
builder <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/#/builders/7> of more interest, since
it's both building flang and running the test-suite. That's pretty slow and
heavy though, so if you start adding fortran support to the test-suite I'd
be happy to add it to some of our lighter, fortran-focused builders (such
as this one <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/#/builders/79>). Feel free to contact
me on the flang slack or via email if there's anything I can help with.

> The ones with `testsuite_flags=['--benchmarking-only']` will be running
> in benchmark mode and submitting the results to the LNT server.
>
> Other builder types may be doing it, but I don't know about those.
>
> The goal is to have an analogous set-up to what is done now for C/C++. I
>> am just getting up to speed now on it.
>>

> I want to make sure I'm not trying to push you, just giving you the runes
> that aren't obvious when you first start working on it.
>
> We have a number of people (including me, many times) excited to add tests
> or infrastructure to the test-suite only to give up half-way because of the
> mess it is.
>
> Folks really did a good number on it in the past few years (CMake support,
> statistical analysis, benchmark mode), so it's probably a lot easier now
> than when I had to work on it.
>
> Good luck and thanks for taking on such a thankless task. :)

+1, I was considering adding FCVS
<http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/flang-dev/2020-July/000434.html> to the
test-suite, but you might get to it before I find the time ;)