[llvm-dev] Fwd: Question about the platform/OS used by most LLVM developers

Everett Maus via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 09:38:04 PST 2020

I'm not the most regular contributor, but if I were to guess, I'd expect
it's reasonably well mixed and there are likely a decent number of
"poly-OS" folks (I'm currently prototyping something & working on it on
both debian linux + mac osx).

One thing that immediately occurred to me is that splitting a tool like
that into a library/command line tool/service that's independent of the
actual 'display' is something that seems relatively common with clang/llvm
libraries and also a technique that's been done with clang-related tools in
the past to get cross platform & cross editor exploration (e.x. the clangd
service + a vscode plugin or a plugin for any other editor that supports
the LSP).  That could be an easy or easy-ish way to build something cross
platform that helps with visualizing compiler IR without having to solve
the cross-platform-GUI problem.

--EJM

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:00 AM Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I’m not aware of any survey like that.  It would be interesting to know,
> and I expect a lot of people would be willing to respond to a survey.  Some
> people use more than one; I use both Ubuntu and Windows, for example.
>
> In general the project looks for tools to be usable across the major
> platforms, so I would recommend against using the results of the survey to
> focus on one platform to the exclusion of others.  This is admittedly
> trickier if you have GUIs in the mix, but seems solvable.
>
> --paulr

--EJM