[llvm-dev] LLVM Book Opportunity

Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 15 16:06:20 PDT 2020

Hi Matthew and all,

Also I feel like one of the obstacles would be the fast-changing APIs. Since to my understanding this book is not a compiler textbook full with theory stuffs, as a ‘Getting Started' book for practitioners it’s hard to avoid API usages and best practices, which are both pretty unstable IMO (yes, even for best practices, for example the recommended way to use DominatorTree has changed over time).

It might be a good idea to have some books for beginners, since the knowledge barrier of this project is still relatively higher than other open source projects. But I think you might also want to provide some ideas on how to put this book in an unique position in terms of its contribution on easing up the learning curve. Otherwise I agree with what Pavel said, the official document website is good enough: It can be updated whenever we want and articles were usually written by LLVM veterans.

Best,
-Min