[llvm-dev] LLVM Book Opportunity

Pavel Kosov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 15 01:55:02 PDT 2020

Hi, Matthew, all
nice to hear about interest from Packt Publishing for LLVM
I think there are a lot of professionals in this mailing list, who can be
an author of the book.
But writing a good book demands a lot of time, so that's why there are not
so many responses (and also maybe because of well-formed and updated online
documentation, which can be a good replacement for the book).
Nevertheless, I think that one comprehensive well-written book can be
really useful for helping newcomers be involved in LLVM more quickly, so I
would offer my help to the person, who will be able to take the
responsibility to be an author (I can write some chapters, e.g. about PGO,
internal structures like DAG, etc)

Pavel

-----------------------------

Hello, LLVM Developers.

My name is Matthew Emerick and I have an opportunity for you and the LLVM
project.  I represent Packt Publishing in the acquisition of new material
to publish.  I have been working with one of their Product Managers, who
may have reached out to you, and he asked for my help in securing an author
for a book about LLVM.

>From my discussions with the Product Manager, Packt is looking for a book
about an overview of the project along with best practices from a user
perspective.  Off the top of my head, I could see an introductory chapter
with the history of the project and a high level overview.  Then a section
about the technologies involved and what they do.  Then finish up with a
chapter of best practices through some example projects.

Is there any interest on your end? Will you consider it?  I look forward to
your response.

Thanks,
Matthew Emerick