[llvm-dev] How to deal with multiple patches to the same file

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 12 08:51:32 PDT 2020

I didn't think my plan sounded right. I understand what you are saying, but once the first patch is accepted, I have to remember to rebase the other branch and resubmit the patch. No? Otherwise the line numbers in the second patch will no longer match the source file. Ah, I guess if I were committing my own patch, rebasing and recreating the patch file would be part of my usual flow. But what about when someone else commits it for me?

You are certainly correct about reading a book, which is why yesterday I started REreading Brent Laster's "Professional Git." And I appreciate you putting up with all my questions. This will be the third time I've read a Git book; perhaps this is the time it will "take."