[llvm-dev] What is the process for release notes for LLVM

Sam Elliott via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 29 07:49:36 PDT 2020

This approximately follows my understanding and expectation.

I think that, if you have commit access, commits to improve release notes fall under the contribution guidelines for documentation and therefore do not require a full Phabricator review.

I know Alex Bradbury tries to coordinate the RISC-V backend-related release notes based on the backend changes since the last release, and this seems to work well (in some cases soliciting notes, in some cases just writing up what others had done). It does seem that role should not just fall on the shoulders of a backend or component owner, though.

I would agree that it could be easier to update release notes in patches that make the changes to keep everything together, although I'm not sure how this affects backporting patches (solving merge conflicts in release notes seems like it could be rather infuriating if it happened a lot).

Sam

> On 29 Apr 2020, at 2:05 pm, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> The way things work in practice is, when it’s time for a release, the release manager makes a general plea for people to write release notes.  This might include pleas to individuals whom the release manager has noticed made a note-worthy change; I seem to remember getting one such email once upon a time.
>
> Asking for a release note as part of the review would be a new thing, but IMO brilliant.
> --paulr

Sam Elliott
Software Team Lead
Senior Software Developer - LLVM and OpenTitan
lowRISC CIC