[llvm-dev] 2020 US LLVM Developers' Meeting - September 28-29

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 20 13:25:26 PDT 2020

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 00:07, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Given the current situation regarding COVID-19, we feel it is best to be totally transparent with our planning process. We are closely monitoring the news regarding restrictions on travel and large gatherings and also following the World Health Organization's advice. It takes about 9-12 months of planning for our developers’ meetings and given we do not know the situation in September, we are moving forward with the hope that it will be safe to host our event.

Hi Tanya,

I'd like to thank everyone involved in planning the developer meetings
in the face of the pandemic. It's a thankless task in normal times...

Full credit to the EuroLLVM crew, even though sad (and unprecedented)
to have it cancelled, the process was as painless as it comes. We got
emails about everything, the cancellation was timely and clear.

It surely disrupted the plans of hundreds of people, some lost money
(hopefully some insurance would cover?) and some the opportunity to
participate in the meeting for the first time, or to present something
cool they wanted.

But it was the right choice, and none of the pain, AFAIK, came from
the LLVM side. Super kudos to all.

I'm sure you will do the same again, and I encourage the optimism,
sorely needed these days, and if it happens to be cancelled again,
well, I'm sure it won't be taken lightly and it will be the right
thing to do.

Thanks for being transparent and for the hard work over all these years.

cheers,
--renato