[llvm-dev] Various Intermediate Representations. IR

James Courtier-Dutton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 15 03:16:38 PDT 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 at 21:24, Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de> wrote:

> Currently, LLVM often uses the *i8 type (pointer to char) to represent
> a pointer to some not-specified type. We are also working on replacing
> the pointer-to-type pointer types by a single pointer type without a
> specific pointee-type. Look for "opaque pointer" on llvm-dev and the
> repository commits.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your reply.

Does the LLVM IRBuilder currently allow adding an opaque pointer to a
LLVM .bc file?
Even if it does not compile, just being able to add it, would be helpful.
I could then run my own experimental passes against it.

Does using opaque pointers, adversely affect alias analysis?

Kind Regards

James