[llvm-dev] Questions about vscale

Kai Wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 13 16:12:13 PDT 2020

Hi Hanna,

Thanks Hanna. I got your point.
You mean that If the type does not exist in the type system, we still need
to legalize it.
I support the following four kinds of i32 scalable vector types. I also do
not know how to reason about vscale x 1 x i32 under this type system.

          LMUL = 1           LMUL = 2            LMUL = 4            LMUL =
8
int32_t | vscale x 2 x i32 | vscale x  4 x i32 | vscale x  8 x i32 | vscale
x 16 x i32

Could we just support the types in the table on the RISC-V target? I mean
do not legalize it, and just issue error messages for vscale x 1 x i32.

In my latest reply, I do not propose fractional vscale. I propose “vscale x
n” be an integer. Under the assumption, I could not reason about vscale x 1
x i32. However, I could reason about vscale x 2 x i32 even when vscale =
1/2. We only care about the part “vscale x n” being integer.

The original problem is the type system proposed by Hanna under ELEN = 64 is

          LMUL = 1           LMUL = 2            LMUL = 4            LMUL =
8
int32_t | vscale x 2 x i32 | vscale x  4 x i32 | vscale x  8 x i32 | vscale
x 16 x i32

Under ELEN = 32 is

          LMUL = 1           LMUL = 2            LMUL = 4            LMUL =
8
int32_t | vscale x 1 x i32 | vscale x  2 x i32 | vscale x  4 x i32 | vscale
x 8 x i32

The problem is there are multiple kinds of type systems under RISC-V RVV
implementation. They are not compatible under different ELEN
configurations. AFAIK, there are no such compatible problems in GCC
implementation. (In GCC, they reason about the whole “poly_int”, instead of
“X”.)

If llvm.vscale(i32 ElementCount) is not the way we want to go, is there any
proposal to solve the compatibility problems in your type system?