[llvm-dev] Questions about vscale

Kai Wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 7 20:23:07 PDT 2020

Thanks, Hanna.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 7:51 PM Hanna Kruppe <hanna.kruppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > vscale x 16 x i16
> >   int8_t | vscale x 4 x i8   | vscale x 8 x i8   | vscale x 16 x  i8 |
> > vscale x 32 x i8
> >
> > If the type is invalid, you would need to legalise it, and in that
> > case create some cluttered accessors (via insert/extract element) and
> > possibly use intrinsics to expose underlying instructions that can
> > deal with it.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm not clear on what you need, but vscale is supposed to be
> > the number of valid elements (lanes), and given i64 is invalid, vscale
> > wouldn't apply?
>

> I don't know what "vscale wouldn't apply" is supposed to mean. Whether
> it's legal or not, you can write LLVM IR using (for example) the type
> <vscale x 1 x i64> even if the target doesn't natively support it. The
> purpose of legalization is to make sure that results in the behavior
> the type is supposed to have. For <vscale x 1 x i32>, this means among
> other things:
>
> - it has the same number of elements as <vscale x 1 x i32>, but each
> element is twice as big
> - it has half as many elements (each of the same size) as <vscale x 2 x
> i64>
> - its total size in bits is the same as <vscale x 2 x i32>
>
> I think that focusing on the completely illegal i64 might obscure the
> real problem I see with the fractional vscale concept. Let's look at
> <vscale x 1 x i32> instead. The elements are clearly legal in this
> context, even in some vector types, but the <vscale x 1 x i32> type is
> absent from Kai's table. This makes sense: the same vector register
> fits 2x as many i32 elements as i64 elements, so if you start with
> <vscale x 1 x i64> mapping to a single register, then <vscale x 2 x
> i32> is the same size and fits in the same register class, while
> <vscale x 1 x i32> is too small and must be legalized somehow.
>
> But how? If we take Kai's table as gospel and look at a VLEN = ELEN =
> 32 machine, the vector type <vscale x 2 x i32> is supposed to map to a
> single vector register, which is 32b small, and thus <vscale x 2 x
> i32> would have just one element in this context (matching the "vscale
> = 1/2" intuition). To be consistent with this, <vscale x 1 x i32>
> would have be contain just *half* an element. This is not something
> any legalization strategy can achieve, because it is a fundamentally
> impossible notion. So we end up in a situation where some types are
> not just illegal and have to be legalized, but are contradictory and
> can't be legalized in any meaningful way.
>
> I don't think LLVM can/should support this kind of contradiction. Some
> types have to be legalized, sometimes the legalization is not
> efficient, sometimes it's not even implemented, that's all fine. But
> letting some targets decide that <vscale x 1 x i32> is a fundamentally
> impossible type to even assign a meaning to... that seems
> unprecedented and contrary to the philosophy of LLVM IR as reasonably

If we apply the type system pointed out by Renato, is the vector type
<vscale x 1 x i16> legal? If we decide that <vscale x 1 x i16> is a
fundamentally impossible type, does it contrary to the philosophy of LLVM
IR as reasonably target-independent IR? I do not get the point of your
argument.

> The obvious solution is to use a different set of legal vector types
> (and thus, a different interpretation of vscale) depending on the
> largest legal element type (ELEN in RISC-V jargon). This corresponds
> to the table for ELEN=32 that Renato gave above. Kai's proposal is
> intended to avoid this, and I can understand the desire for that, but
> it really seems like the lesser evil to me.

The problem of defining a different type system depending on the largest
legal element type (ELEN in RISC-V jargon) is that they are not compatible.
I assume that programs compiled under ELEN = 32 could be run on ELEN = 64
machines. It should be possible to link ELEN = 32 objects with ELEN = 64
objects. If we use the type <vscale x 1 x i32> under ELEN = 32, there is no
corresponding type under ELEN = 64 for <vscale x 1 x i32> (look up in my
table). It seems an illegal type under ELEN = 64. Does it follow the
philosophy of target independent IR?

I hope we could design an unified type system for different ELEN. However,
the vscale may be fractional on run time under some circumstances (VLEN =
32, ELEN = 32) in my proposal. That is why I wonder to know whether the
fractional vscale is matter or not.

Thanks,
Kai