[llvm-dev] lld-link with MSVC6 object files

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 30 14:14:11 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 2:07 PM Paul Moran <bankybooks at gmail.com> wrote:

> MSVC 6 is 1998 not 1989 :)

Ah, I just glanced briefly at the Wikipedia article (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B ) & misread the "C
6.0" and didn't notice it was distinct from "Visual C++ 6.0" - thanks for
the catch!

> The latest MSVC linker can link these object files. Is this just because
> it has support for C13 types and some other code path for whatever MSVC6
> uses? After some digging around it appears to be this format:
>

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/pe-format#coff-file-header-object-and-image
>

> Which is COFF object file format? Does lld link support this format?

COFF is still the windows object file format, and the Windows support in
lld is COFF support, yeah. I guess there might be some format variations
that haven't been implemented in lld, though. It's mostly an "on demand"
sort of approach.