[llvm-dev] llvm-dev Digest, Vol 183, Issue 75

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 24 12:29:13 PDT 2019

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue,
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 19:08:49 +0200
> From: Fabiano Sidler via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> To: llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Building LLVM with LLVM with no dependence on
>         GCC
>
> Hello? Anyone here with step-by-step instructions for getting a GCC-free
> (and possibly glibc-free) LLVM on Ubuntu?
>
> Greetings,
> Fabiano

Glibc free on a glibc host is difficult. I periodically try this but am yet
to be totally successful. You can look at Alpine Linux for a working
example where everything is built against musl.

The hazard I am blocked on is that clang uses third party code. Readline,
zlib, probably others I've forgotten. Setting the cmake flags to build
without them didn't work, so I think one has to build these libraries with
the musl targeting toolchain and then build clang against them.

Life is simpler if libcxx/cxxabi/unwind are all combined into a single
archive. The cmake options to do that used to be broken, maybe that works
in the new monorepo.

I'd be interested to hear if you succeed.