[llvm-dev] live-in lists during register allocation

Jonas Paulsson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 24 06:15:46 PDT 2019

Hi Matthias,

I have come back to this issue again of trusting live-in lists during a
call to foldMemoryOperandImpl(). You answered in June "... They were
intended only for post-ra passes and are only setup during the final
rewriting pass".

I would like to clarify further by asking if this answer generally
relates to the allocated phys-regs being added to live-in lists by
VirtRegRewriter? What then about a non-allocatable register?

I see that the MachineVerifier reports an error if there is a user of
the CC phys-reg without a previous def in the MBB, or an entry for CC in
the live-in list of the MBB. This makes it reasonable to assume that
physregs are expected to be present in the live-in list if there is
indeed a user of a live-in value. Since CC is non-allocatable it also
seems that this shouldn't really be different before or after regalloc, or?

Is there any explicit guarantee for this anywhere so that this can be
relied on? Given the MachineVerifier check, this ought to be the case,
or? If not, could we add this somewhere in the documentation?

/Jonas