[llvm-dev] debug build busts memory

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 26 10:41:01 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM David Jones via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Throw hardware at it.

While I agree that this is good advice with the current state of affairs, I
don't think we should consider the current situation acceptable.

LLVM has a lot of knobs that Tim alluded to, but first time users shouldn't
have to search for them to get a working debug build of LLVM out of the
box. As a community, we need to raise the bar here, and spend some time
making first time build setup easier. I seem to recall that there were
discussions at the dev meeting about simplifying our CMake build, and I
think this can be part of that effort.