[llvm-dev] Fwd: RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 19 10:30:20 PST 2019

  What I'm curious about is how often that level of control over moderation
has been needed in the past with our IRC.  I certainly agree that it's
missing many moderation features, I'm just not yet convinced that we need
those moderation features.

Redactions (Removing Messages) - We can't do that with IRC either
Managing Abusive Display Names / Avatars - We can kick people from the Slack
Power levels / Roles - IRC has this in very limited capacity, but I don't
believe we've ever needed anything other than "normal user" and "admin".
Slack has that.
Kicking and banning users - Slack has this
(I don't know what the rest of the topics are about under Moderating Rooms)

Consenting to Terms and Conditions - IRC doesn't have this
Removing users, rooms and content - Slack Admins can do this
Banning clients by IP - We probably don't want to do this anyway as it
could cause an entire organization to be banned

Reporting bad content  - Discord doesn't do this
Blocking users  - This one seems valid, Discord does allow you to do this
and so does IRC.  I actually don't know if Slack does.