[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 10:00:30 PST 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 9:25 AM Rob Conde via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Some thoughts:
>
>    - I think there's a psychological difference of a mailing list vs.
>    slack/discord. Slack/discord maybe feels like being in a group of your
>    friends and asking a casual question. A mailing list feels like being in a
>    class and raising your hand to interrupt for a question.
>    - An email is going to go to everyone on the list. The slack/discord
>    message is only going to go to who is in the channel at the moment (not
>    technically...but usually I don't read the history of everything I missed
>    when not in a channel).
>    - It's a positive for a mailing list that you spend the time thinking
>    about what you're going to say as mentioned before...but it also adds a
>    burden for the poster. Some peoples learning style is to talk-it-through,
>    and because the expectation for a mailing list is that you're going to put
>    a lot of thought into your question, it discourages that.
>    - Having a (more or less) immediate back-and-forth on a slack/discord
>    type medium has an entirely different "vibe" than a mailing list.

It was maybe a mistake to couple the two topics (IRC/email vs
discord/discourse) in the same thread, because I'm confused by the
comparison of discord vs mailing-lists.

My understanding is that Slack/discord is intended to replace our IRC
channel and *not* the mailing-lists.
Separately there is also *Discourse* which is a better replacement for the
mailing-lists: this is closer to an online forum. Discourse also has a
"mailing-list" mode where you can receive *everything* through email and
answer by email (it gets posted to the thread in discourse).

I don't have a strong opinion on Discord, but am very much in favor of
Discourse: not only it plays "OK" with email but it allows to have
subcategories, to move thread around, to subscribe to particular categories
(or a specific thread) to get notifications and mute others.
Creating a new category on Discourse is also much less process-oriented
than creating a mailing-list (sometimes the tool can make something very
smooth/usable: just like git made working with branches natural).

It also allows to have every subproject share a common "community" space
that does not really exist today: this thread is a good example: it lives
on llvm-dev@ and does not include the mailing-lists of the other
sub-projects. So llvm-dev@ is mixing technical content with the community
management? Someone working on LLDB *has to* follow closely llvm-dev and
filter out the 95% technical content to get the 5% they want?

Of course we could create more and more mailing-list: but we never did
(discoverability isn't great, managing subscription is annoying, and
creating a mailing-list isn't a "light-weight process).

Best,

--
Mehdi