[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Christopher Degawa via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 09:47:21 PST 2019

> Perhaps we could do other things to make the mailing lists more
> accessible? When I meet university students, they're often familiar
> with how to find our code and build it, but much less aware of the
> mailing lists, and that one can use them to ask questions. Maybe we
> should promote them in README.md, which is probably the first thing
> new users would see these days?

In addition to promoting the mailing lists, it would probably be beneficial
to add at least a mention or a link to the contributing guide too since the
only link relating to how to contribute is "http://reviews.llvm.org/"
inside the sub-header, which most people gloss over and a link directly to
the Phabricator is one of the least helpful way to direct a potential
contributor from GitHub (especially if they don't know where to start in
Phabricator). Either adding a link to
https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html or adding the contents of it to the
README.md would help a lot more than requiring the contributor to google
"llvm contributing"