[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 20:40:49 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM Brian Cain <brian.cain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mehdi and team, thanks for taking the time to make process improvements
> like this one. I hope we are able to find compromise or alleviate concerns
> raised in this thread because I think it's a significant step forward to
> switch to PRs. I look forward to having a streamlined way to stage my
> patches for review and pre merge test.
>
> I'd like to request that if we end up moving to PRs that we consider a
> long term roadmap that allows for devs to summon pre merge test easily if
> not automatically. And it would be ideal if I could maximize the scope of
> tests (even if that means my commit would be optimistically included in a
> batch for in-depth tests, even if maximal testing is opt-in).

You may be pleased to hear that this is already a work-in-progress, and it
is decoupled from Phabricator vs Pull-requests: while GitHub has a lot of
nice integration (and the mass effects makes it a natural fit for
third-party to write integration tool as "GitHub Pull-requests"-first),
Phabricator also has APIs that allow to plug pre-merge testing (it is
annoying though that the little engineer resources we have to dedicate to
infrastructure would be sunk into implementing things that "just works" on
GitHub though).

Here is the public repo for the prototype:
https://github.com/google/llvm-premerge-checks ; feel free to contact
Christian
<http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-November/136584.html> if
you'd like to beta-test or get more info on this!

Best,

--
Mehdi