[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Don Hinton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 10:53:20 PST 2019

-1 -- switch to PR's
+1 -- Hal's compromise proposal (as long as I can continue to use Phab)

I agree that the documentation could be better, but I don't see that as a
justification for switching from a superior tool to an inferior one.  Let's
work on the documentation first, then if there's still a compelling reason
to switch, do it then,

I share most of the concerns already mentioned, but my biggest problem on a
daily basis is the use of force pushes to PR's, which loose information (no
way to tell what changed from the previous version -- I deal with this
everyday, and have to re-review the entire patch because I can't see what
was changed/fixed) . Since the branch is in someone's personal fork, I
don't see how it could be outlawed, and that's a problem and huge time sync.

However, I do agree that the patches should be squashed into a single
commit when merged to master.

Btw, I've read several posts claiming github is willing to work with us to
improve the process.  Perhaps we could get them to adopt Phab.

thanks...
don