[llvm-dev] Committing with git

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 2 11:04:17 PDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:42 PM Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 6:02 PM, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> This is also how the Swift project is operating, apparently with success.
> See this PR for example https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/27773 : the
> comment "@swift-ci please smoke test and merge" triggers the CI and the
> PR is merged automatically as soon as the builds are passing.
> <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/27773>
>
> We had a round-table on this topic last week, Tom took notes that he'll
> share with the list.
>
> --
> Mehdi
>

> I’ve had zero success with Swift’s automated PR test and merge. Not only
> does it always fail for me, but it never notifies me of the failure. The PR
> you refer to looks like an anomaly because it didn’t go through any review
> and rebase, nor was regular testing done, which should have been done for a
> functional change that may affect platforms differently. The only advice
> I’ve gotten for dealing with this is: wait until late at night, then
> continually refresh web page over the next two hours and manually restart
> it when it fails!

Wow that's good feedback!
Doug told me last week at the dev meeting that "test and merge" was his
favorite feature, interesting to hear another experience.

I beg you to ignore Swift’s PR approach, come up with something that works,
> then share that with the Swift project. The general concept is sound as
> long as it’s not implemented on top of Jenkins.

Yeah I have been burnt by Jenkins in the past as well, I'm trying to avoid
it as much as possible now.
I like the concept, it has to be *rock solid* to be usable of course: any
false positive in the test or the infrastructure will be frustrating, any
point of failure in the infrastructure should come with auto-retry
mechanisms, etc.

Cheers,

--
Mehdi