[llvm-dev] Committing with git

Andrew Trick via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 1 19:42:05 PDT 2019

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 6:02 PM, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> This is also how the Swift project is operating, apparently with success. See this PR for example https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/27773 <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/27773> : the comment "@swift-ci please smoke test and merge" triggers the CI and the PR is merged automatically as soon as the builds are passing. <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/27773>
>
> We had a round-table on this topic last week, Tom took notes that he'll share with the list.
>
> --
> Mehdi

I’ve had zero success with Swift’s automated PR test and merge. Not only does it always fail for me, but it never notifies me of the failure. The PR you refer to looks like an anomaly because it didn’t go through any review and rebase, nor was regular testing done, which should have been done for a functional change that may affect platforms differently. The only advice I’ve gotten for dealing with this is: wait until late at night, then continually refresh web page over the next two hours and manually restart it when it fails!

I beg you to ignore Swift’s PR approach, come up with something that works, then share that with the Swift project. The general concept is sound as long as it’s not implemented on top of Jenkins.

-Andy