[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Michael Platings via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 21 03:01:10 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

Git is on its way to learning how to ignore commits, allowing us to do variable renaming and other small refactorings without breaking git blame.

It's like git-hyper-blame [1] but significantly more powerful as it uses fuzzy matching to match lines, including lines that may have been split or joined.

A preview release of Git with this new feature is at: https://github.com/mplatings/git/releases/tag/ignore-rev

Some of you have told me that you already have to spend time running git blame multiple times to look past uninteresting commits so I'd love for you to give this feature a try and see if it helps you. Your feedback will be very valuable.

Thanks,
-Michael

[1] https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chrome-infra-docs/flat/depot_tools/docs/html/git-hyper-blame.html