[llvm-dev] Scalable Vector Types in IR - Next Steps?

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 18 19:44:10 PDT 2019

On 3/16/19 3:22 AM, Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev wrote:

On 3/15/19 10:58 AM, David Greene wrote:

BQ_BEGIN

Renato Golin [ mailto:rengolin at gmail.com | <rengolin at gmail.com> ] writes:

BQ_BEGIN

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 15:30, Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev [ mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org | <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> ] wrote:

BQ_BEGIN

I've talked with a number of people about this as well, and I think that
I understand the objections. I'm happy that ARM followed through with
the alternate set of patches. Regardless, however, unless those who had
wished to object still wish to object, and then actually do so, we now
clearly have a good collection of contributors actively desiring to do
code review, and we should move forward (i.e., start committing patches
once they're judged ready).

Let's start by closing the three flying revisions, so that people that
weren't involved in the discussion don't waste time looking at them.

BQ_END

See the reply I just posted to Hal.  I am not sure we've made a decision
to abandon the current patches.  We may in fact decide that, but I
haven't seen consensus for doing so yet.  In fact I've seen the opposite
-- that people want to move forward with the scalable types.

BQ_END

I agree with David. We should move forward with native support for
scalable types.

 -Hal

BQ_END

+1

NEC SX-Aurora will also be using scalable types when they become available.

-Simon
BQ_BEGIN

BQ_END

BQ_BEGIN

BQ_BEGIN

-David

BQ_END

BQ_END

--

Simon Moll
Researcher / PhD Student

Compiler Design Lab (Prof. Hack)
Saarland University, Computer Science
Building E1.3, Room 4.31

Tel. +49 (0)681 302-57521 : [ mailto:moll at cs.uni-saarland.de | moll at cs.uni-saarland.de ] Fax. +49 (0)681 302-3065  : [ http://compilers.cs.uni-saarland.de/people/moll | http://compilers.cs.uni-saarland.de/people/moll ]