[llvm-dev] Efficient emulation of arithmetic operations

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 2 05:53:32 PST 2019

   Hello.
     I would like to advertise a very interesting LLVM related project I worked on in the
last 1.5 years.

     It is about the efficient emulation of arithmetic operations by "inlining" the
emulation routines (written manually) by using the LLVM Instruction selection pass.
     This is something that is useful as methodology for other LLVM back ends for
architectures that require emulation. The technical report at
https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/OpincaaLLVM_TR_UPB.pdf describes this
very interesting method in Section 7 - specifically Algorithm 7.1 could be used by other
LLVM developers to implement it for other back ends also.
     (There are also some slides available describing specifically this work:
https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/CGO2019_LLVM_Performance_Workshop-Arithmetic_emulation_slides.pdf
) .

     Please ask questions and provide feedback if this is of interest to you.

   Thank you,
     Alex