[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Jake Ehrlich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 16:05:41 PDT 2019

Syscalls are operating system specific and architecture dependent so I
think we'll want an abstraction layer around the fundamental operations the
syscalls support anyway. Some things like open aren't even syscalls on all
operating systems. There might be a generic syscall layer added that would
be architecture and not operating system specific but even on x86_64 there
are two different ways to do syscalls I think. Loading, startup, and
linking are all both format and operating system specific and a few of
these details involved are determined by the architecture but they're
trivially abstracted away.

why is answering these questions at a general level important?

Because I wanted to make sure I understood the direction and the
restriction stated. The restriction on what architecture will be used
without stating a restriction on the operating system seemed like an odd
statement. I'd very much like operating system abstractions to be
considered right out of the gate and this seems like a bigger issue than
the architecture to me.