[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Siva Chandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 15:47:15 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM Jake Ehrlich <jakehehrlich at google.com>
wrote:

> disclaimer: I work at Google so don't take my +1 as an independent vote
> forward.
>
> We would like to use this on Fuchsia and I am particularly interested in
> creating a dynamic linking library for ELF with Roland McGrath's guidance.
> We spoke about creating a library for writing dynamic linkers internally
> and I don't see why this can't be upstreamed.

If dynamic linking support is added in a "as a library" fashion, so that it
can easily be excluded if not required without affecting the rest of the
system, I do not see any problems adding it.

> On Fuchsia we critically need support for AArch64; What do you expect to
> be architecture dependent? I struggled to think of where the architecture
> and not the operating system was the issue.

I think syscalls are an example of being architecture specific? And, items
like program startup and PIE loader are operating system/exe format
specific?

Just for my knowledge, why is answering these questions at a general level
important?